Monday, October 8, 2007

lots of shooting

After another late night at work on Thursday I am finally done with late night work events and can focus in on some much needed work in the studio. I have had some new thoughts running through my head while working a lot more on much needed shooting. Thinking about the idea of mapping and how that pertains to my own life and sense of place. I hope to push some of my current ideas further by photographing not only myself but imagery I come in contact with on a daily basis almost a mapping of life. Beginning this Saturday with my apartment and starting to photograph my space and myself within my own personal space. I then moved out of my apartment and rode my bike through part of the route I drive to school, slowing down both my looking and ability to photograph. I am excited about this new shooting and where ideas of mapping can take my work and thoughts. Looking forward to spend some more time shooting in my apartment and exploring other ways to map that space. I have been thinking about a visual document of my life and how mapping where I am and where I go is important to me. While still thinking about landscape and the ordinary I have been photographing before I started on this project of mapping. I am excited about researching more ideas of maps after viewing the show To Fly: Contemporary Aerial Photography at BUAG this weekend which showed a selection of artists work dealing with imagery of landscapes scene aerially. This was exciting to view the images were beautiful and got me thinking more about my own mapping and how will it work? Looking forward to exploring these ideas literal and visual how do maps influence my sense of place and map of my own life? This week I plan to order some topographic maps of Boston and research more on mapping the MA area where I currently find my sense of place. After growing up in two homes this feeling I continue to have to find my own place in this world.
I was able to get out of Boston up to NH for part of the long weekend which was a much needed break from all the stresses, and good to get outdoors and do some hiking and climbing. While I continued to photograph more and think about ideas of mapping and photographing myself within the landscape.
Working on reading tonight and into the studio tomorrow. Looking forward to finishing the book from Laura and tracking down an essay recommendation from her. I need to get through some books I've had from the library and make another research trip this week to AIB library.

No comments: