Friday, November 9, 2007

William Wegman

I had a great meeting with Laura on Wednesday about my new work. It was great to talk about what was working and not working. I have been exploring more about how to incorporate maps into my work and try and create my own map to visually show my place, home, travel, and life. Looking forward to going through books I have from the library this weekend. Some other artists I have been inspired by lately: Maya Lin and William Wegman's paintings with prints I have put two with this entry. I am so excited about where this work can go and where I'm headed with it. Being in an awkward stage with some of the prints but trying to push through that into the next level. Starting to see parts of my life coming into my work more. I spoke with Laura about my traveling as a child and how that has changed my concept of home. Being in a family with divorced parents and traveling to a different home on the weekend. I just wrote about that in my last thought piece.
Looking to the next residency I need to work more on my technique with photoshop and experiment with papers which was one of my goals for this semester.

1 comment:

liz schrenk said...

Hi Sam!
I just browsed through your blog, and images of your recent work - it seems as though you and I are working through similar concepts! I am especially drawn to your images that juxtapose two fragmentary moments, I look forward to hearing more about your work in January! There is a book you might want to check out, about childhood geography, it's called "Lure of the Local" by Lucy Lippard. You might find some connections there to your current ideas. Good luck, and take care -
liz