Tuesday, November 6, 2007

It was a busy weekend in NYC of art visits and time with family. I was able to go to the MOMA and see the Seurat drawing show and a few pieces from the Martin Puryear sculpture show, there are a few other shows I would like to see to, hoping to get back in December. I enjoyed a quote on the wall at MOMA:
I value the referential quality of art, the fact that a work can be quite diffuse, so I would describe my usual working process as a kind of distillation - trying to make coherence out of things that can seem contradictory. But coherence is not the same as resolution. The most
interesting art for me retains a flickering quality, where opposed ideas can be held in tense
coexistence.
Puryear 2007

Next it was on to the photography. I enjoyed the show Present Tense with the work of JoAnn Verburg in which she explores the spacing of her images in multi panel landscapes of trees. Just walking through the photography collection there gets me excited to come back to my own work. Other artists I enjoyed seeing: Berni Searle, Scott McFarland, Roni Horn, Lee Friedlander, and a portrait series by Joseph Albers.
Then it was on to Chelsea it's been a while since I've spent time exploring the galleries there so I found a pamphlet with all the galleries listed and just started moving around the blocks. I saw a lot of work some I liked, and some I didn't, I would have liked to have seen more photography but it might just have been the galleries I went to. I went to the Chelsea Art Museum, went to a few more galleries and decided I could walk no further and I'd taken in all I could for the day. I did some shooting while I was in NYC but I found myself not that inspired, and began thinking about how do images that represent my childhood/growing up fit into my current search for place and narrative?
Today I have been able to work on some of my grad stuff while at school, scanned some negatives and printed some more contact sheets. Getting work in order for my meeting with Laura on Wednesday.

No comments: