Wednesday, August 29, 2007

first mentor meeting

On Monday I met with Laura Blacklow for the first time. The meeting was great it was nice to connect with her and have both my work from the residency and new contact sheets from the work I have been shooting over the summer to look and talk about. We looked through my new contact sheets talked about ideas and questions I have about my own work.
She spoke to the ideas of cropping, disorientation, scale, loss of horizon line, a visual memory, folding time, sequence. I talked about light and shadow in my work, and she asked "What does light and shadow say to me in the 21st century?"
Another question was "Why is this working for me?" The new work I have been shooting, imagery that for me also questions why am I photographing this?
Laura recommended looking at Alice Wells work and to read the first chapter of John Berger's Ways of Seeing before I read Walter Benjamin Illuminations. We looked at Robert Frank's Lines of My Hand and a Lee Friedlander book while I was at her house.
I felt good about the meeting and challenged at the same time. I'm looking forward to printing this new work. I'm struggling a little with the first thought piece but I know I will get there. Meetings at my teaching job start this week so I'm feeling a little stress from all around.

No comments: