Monday, March 18, 2013

Life

Well as I look at my last post from August 2011,  I realize life has happened and I have not been keeping up with my blog. It's been a busy almost three years since arriving in Denver. I had a teaching job, lost a teaching job, then got another great teaching job that I am currently in (finally teaching mostly photography). Got engaged, bought house, got married. Phew as I said it's been busy. I have kept my promise to myself that I would continue to go to SPE national conferences to energize and rejuvenate myself. Last fall I was able to help with the SW regional conference and this spring I just recently attended the national in Chicago!

It's been a crazy past few months but I have been making work again which is wonderful. While inspired by the trash behind our old apartment we have since moved into our own home. Now that I finally feel a sense of roots and being more grounded I have started investigating my space again. When I approached home and my own personal space early on in graduate school the work was missing something. That it was not my home but merely a rental that my possessions lived in.

I have been thinking a lot about both home and objects. My thesis work is being presented in a group show http://www.artsbrookfield.com/denver/republic_plaza/. I have not had the whole project up since AIB and it's been refreshing to both revisit that work while I am simultaneously working on a new project. I was able to bring new work to SPE and got some reviews. I have more shooting and ideas to consider for the project, but it feels good to have a new focus.

No comments: